Direct to kingdom page

Direct to kingdom page

Postby Marmalade » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:27 am

Using Brimstone 0.5.b1.

First off all, does the beta build have everything the main build does?

Secondly, I think I found a bug. Or rather more likely, something you didn't think of.

I am in an alliance. We have a forum where we post links to enemy kingdoms, a direct link to their kingdom page. If I go to one of those links it fills in the "target". But it does not fill in the Players tab. If I look at the db the player is not there. Brimstone remembers nothing about these people because I visited their page directly.
Marmalade

Re: Direct to kingdom page

Postby xuluwarrior » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:16 pm

You need to update your version. You're 4 betas and a final release behind. Tools -> Addons -> Find Updates shoudl sort you out.

Let me know if you have and problems after upgrading.
xuluwarrior
Site Admin

Postby Marmalade » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:46 am

Sorry for the delay in reply. I am involved with a lot of alliance wars right now and I'm typically not using Brimstone during them.

I have uninstalled and installed from the main stream. Running 0.5 now.

Same thing.

Reproduction:
Clear your database.
Visit all your kingdom pages to get your own info.
Click on this link:
http://warbook.freewebz.com/diplomacy/u ... =&secure=1

The Target tab opens up and displays the kingdom.
If you switch to the Players tab, there are no kingdoms.
If you look in the database there is only your kingdom.

Clicking directly on links does not add (or refresh) kingdoms in the database.
Marmalade

Postby xuluwarrior » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:57 am

I get what you mean now. I'll try and fix it for you soon.

You say you don't use Brimstone while doing alliance wars. I'd be interested to know what features would make Brimstone more applicable during war.
xuluwarrior
Site Admin

Postby Marmalade » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:50 pm

During an alliance war, we do a Spy and then post it in our forums. Every day or two someone does another Spy. Typically you've attacked someone several times and know you can break them. Because of that, we don't need to do a Spy/Survey to find out the details of a kingdom - we already have them. So Brimstone's attack/defense score calculation isn't as useful for us, and storage of old details we do already.

One thing that may be useful would be the land makeup as a percentage. When you are trying to decide who to fireball and you have multiple targets, you choose your target on who of the enemy has the most troops but also who has got the lowest percentage barriers.

For alliance wars, once we have found a target we typically go directly to their page rather than using search. However the ability to save all search results is important for finding them in the first place. Any extra features around alliances would be helpful. Factions, people who change alliances, and protection (Vacation, War+1) can also be useful.

In the database, storing the actual kingdom page hyperlink would be useful. Right now, to generate links from brimstone data I use a URL that searches by the kingdom name (changing spaces to %20).

I don't know if this is a feature you want to deal with, but another important thing for alliance wars is finding people's tick. We often use a tool like Check4Change to discover a tick and then track it in our forums.

Another thing we use aside from forums is we often do a Google Docs spreadsheet containing links to enemy kingdoms. Columns for kingdom name, hero type, alliance, size, tick, link. Right now we do the original generation of the spreadsheet by hand, although sometimes I use Brimstone as a base. We sort the spreadsheet by tick and then anyone someone logs on they can see which enemy mages have ticked recently and send them a Vortex (thereby to most effect).

Now I'm stretching a bit for Brimstone features but another thing we use is Enemies of this Kingdom. I don't know what Brimstone could do to help - but we use it to find out if they are being tapped, or if one of our allies is attack them as well.

Historical tracking of data could be useful. Knowing that for a particular enemy the history of when you attacked each other is important. For example, something I do manually (although could maybe use Brimstone for) is to see what time of day someone fireballs me. If I can look back on the last three days and see that he always fireballs me between 3pm and 4pm (my time) then I can start sending him Vortexes at 2:30pm.

Anyway, thats what I can think of for now. If you want samples of how we track people during wars in forums or in spreadsheets then PM me.
Marmalade

Postby Marmalade » Thu May 01, 2008 2:09 am

Actually, I wanted to mention that I am also having problems with the kingdoms being populated during normal searches. I'm not sure what it is exactly, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I will try to investigate but I'm not having much luck.
Marmalade

Return to Bug Reports